TRPLINKS SHORT
Home SportsEconomyBusinessTechnologyEntertainmentHeightsEnergy
St. John's claims Athletic Directors' Cup again, maintains top status in SPC
Heights
Published in 4-3-2014
    2881 Visits
On the strength of SPC titles in Division I field hockey, girls cross country, girls lacrosse, girls track and field and Division I softball, St. John's was a runaway winner in the girls division. The Mavericks grabbed their sixth SPC crown during the 2012-13 school year in wrestling, which fueled a second-place showing in boys sports behind Dallas St. Mark's. While St. John's reputation for academic excellence is well-known, the Mavericks produce their share of "jocks." According to Arduini, the foundation is laid well before they reach the upper school. "Two years ago, we hired a full-time director of strength and conditioning (Virgil Hill) and have two terrific (athletic) trainers who ensure our kids are physically fit to compete," Arduini said. St. John's finished second in Division I boys basketball and boys cross country and reached the SPC small-school championship game in football, dropping a 60-50 decision to Fort Worth All Saints. The Mavericks were third in Division I boys lacrosse and Division I girls basketball; fourth in boys and girls swimming and diving, Division I baseball and Division I boys tennis; sixth in boys track and field, boys volleyball and Division I girls volleyball; seventh in Division I girls tennis; and eighth in both Division I boys and girls soccer.